Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Jackie Chou

When Asked About My Life's Purpose 

With dung-colored lenses, I view a world 

Where the roses are not pretty at all 

The stems that hold their heads twisted and twirled 

Their partly blemished petals soon to fall 


With downcast eyes, I roam the neighborhood

Where no one wants to help or be my friend 

From far away, they sense my wretched mood 

An ear to hear me rant, they would not lend 


Alone, I get a pen and write my thoughts

How dark they are, the paper does not mind 

Like my delusions, they come out in bouts

The words don't have to be happy or kind 


For a few years, I've been making verses 

My poems–they’ve become my life's purpose





A Facebook Sonnet


Seldom do I with cyber friends engage 

Though I for hours on social media spend 

Concerned about one's work more than his age 

A simple birthday wish, I'd never send 


Neither would I thank him copiously 

With comments longer than the poem itself

Who's published a haiku written by me

Nor purchase his book to put on my shelf


Even in times I do participate 

I oft cannot tell when one's post is grim

Choosing emoji inappropriate 

With him I laugh, but no, never at him 


Though oblivious to things people share 

When something dire catches my eye, I care






The Little Book of Questions 


Should I let "what ifs" fill my head 

What year of my past I'd relive 

Who would I bring back from the dead 

To what charity would I give 


Imagine if I could change a law 

Which innocents would I set free

Or unsee something that I saw 

How different my days would be 


What if I were to choose one food 

To eat for the rest of my life

Maybe not all questions are good 

Some causing emotional strife 


Instead of using them to think 

Let me ponder with my own ink



No comments:

Post a Comment

Patrick Thomas Jeffries

REBIRTH   In Lilac  thirst and  breath Love is  Life’s first  dance with Death The project  to collect   as we ad mire what the  pond   does...