Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Jeffry Michael Jensen


MORE THAN A MYTHICAL BLACK CAT

(in memory of my wonderful 12-year-old feral cat Backpaws who was killed by a coyote on May 8, 2023)

My black cat's eyes take shadows from the sun.
Her paws leave traces on sanctuary trees.
A winter rain puddles where she has run.
A winter wind curls around her mythical tease.

I am not qualified to unmask her glance.
Although silly gods attempt to comprehend her vision.
If I come close to grasping, it is only by chance.
And it is not by choice that I land on a hard decision.

The spoken word leaves little comfort in her realm.
Harsh pronouncements only lead her to the roof.
I beg nature to let her always be at the helm.
Now I have dreamed that her demise will stand as proof.

Yet all the years with her tell me that she shaped my heart
And has filled my mythology with more not less when she departs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Patrick Thomas Jeffries

REBIRTH   In Lilac  thirst and  breath Love is  Life’s first  dance with Death The project  to collect   as we ad mire what the  pond   does...